Thursday, November 12, 2009

Cancer-Lymphoma?

Can someobdy explain to me what lymphoma is? My mother is suffering from it and nobody can explain it to me in simple, understandable english. What is it and how long more does the patient have if she has no treatment except pain killers? Dont worry, be truthful, im not scared. I need to understand what is lymphoma cos i am only 15 years old.

Cancer-Lymphoma?
As someone mentioned, lymphoma is a cancer of the immune system. Your immune system helps to fight against infections. The lymph nodes are all part of this and help to filter out viruses and such. In lymphoma, this filtering system doesn't work properly and eventually causes enlarged lymph nodes and tumours.


Lymphoma is actually very curable (in most but not all cases). There are varying types of lymphoma and they fall under two kinds: Hodkgin's lymphoma and Non-hodkgin's lymphoma. There are five types of hodgkin's lymphoma and many types of non-hodgkin's lymphoma. In general, people with hodgkin's lymphoma have an 85% cure rate. Non-hodgkin's cure rate is also very high but is usually harder to treat.


If you have any questions, just email me. I am a hodgkin's lymphoma survivor (been about a year now). I am in remission. I know many others who have had hodgkin's and non-hodgkin's and most are in remission. Some have been in remission for more than 10 years.


I hope i have been able to help answer you question.
Reply:This is a cancer of the immune system. There are many many different types so there is no way to say how long your mom has sweetie. I am so sorrry she is so sick. Have you talked to mom or another adult or Dr. about mom's treatment? Had she been offered any treatment?


Hodgkins is a type of lymphoma. Have you ever heard of people getting that? The lymph nodes become swollen.


Usually patients get some type of chemotherapy and/or surgery. I really need a little more information before I can explain anything non-specific. Good luck


No comments:

Post a Comment