Monday, May 17, 2010

What is a "low grade" lymphoma? My Dad's bone marrow bx was "loaded" with lymphoma, but he's only rec'ing Epo

I am an RN with advanced degrees and my husband is an MD, but we're not knowledgable re: hematology and oncology, so we'd love a truly professional insight, if possible.

What is a "low grade" lymphoma? My Dad's bone marrow bx was "loaded" with lymphoma, but he's only rec'ing Epo
Excellent source for cancer information is www.cancer.gov which is the National Cancer Institute site. It explains grades of lymphoma with low grade being called indolent while higher grades are called aggressive. There is a monoclonal antibody called Rituxin used for both which has few side effects except for the precautions needed for allergic reaction when taking it in IV form. You can also read about it at Genentech's website for Rituxan. There are also two lymphoma organizations that have websites with lymphoma in their titles.
Reply:Your husband probably has more reliable resources than most people. I am an onco RN and I really have never heard of "low grade" lymphoma being loaded in the bone marrow.


I think you should sit down and talk to the Oncologist and make sure he/she is not a quack. I am suspicious. I believe your dad needs some serious chemotherapy and a 2nd opinion soon.


Prayers are with your dad and good luck.


No comments:

Post a Comment