Friday, May 21, 2010

Is nonhodskin lymphoma curable?

I'll tell you what my oncologist told me.....it depends


They can treat it with various chemos or marrow transplants and there are types that "go to sleep" for many many years...there are something like 32 types of lymphoma, so it all depends of the type, what stage it's at etc.....





My personal battle has been tough....I'm on chemo again for the 3rd time in less than 3 years...I did a stem cell transplant a year ago, that didn't last for 6 months.....I now have the delema of deciding if I want to do a donor marrow transplant...which doesn't have any better odds than the one I did last year, using my own stem cells.....and is much worse to deal with......I both aggressive and non-aggressive cancer active in my body.....


find out exactly what type you are questioning and hit the web for some serious research....the lukemia/lymphoma society is a great place to get information

Is nonhodskin lymphoma curable?
There are many varieties and sub-types of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. Low grade lymphomas are usually not curable but a person may live for a very long time with few or no symptoms between periodic treatment periods. High grade lymphomas are aggressive with many symptoms but are sometimes curable (a durable remission) with either chemo or a bone marrow or stem cell transplant. To give you more accurate info you need to find out what type and what stage of NHL plus the age and general health of the person. Otherwise any answer is just a wild guess. Here is a web page so you can learn the various types and subtypes of the numerous non-Hodgkin's lymphomas. good luck





http://www.lymphomainfo.net/lymphoma/wha...


No comments:

Post a Comment